Monday, December 19, 2011

Love Letter To A Dodo Bird

Dear Dodo,


Has there ever been an uglier bird?

You, with red-tipped beak, yon gaping nostrils, most bald and all-but-plucked head.

You, misshapen as an old boot.


Can I call you my fat baby, my inelegant overgrown dove?


Can I call you my portly piggy pigeon?


I love your flightless girth and beady dino eyes.



I love your mud-puddle plumage.


There are many reasons I love you but most of all this: your ignominious etymology -


“Sluggard,” “Fat-arse,”



“Fool,” and “crazy.”


Can I call you, as Vice Admiral Wybrand van Warwijck did, “loathsome bird”?


Or might I address you, in the manner of the Dutch, simply as “swollen” (as is my heart for you)?


Oh feathered lumpy lumpy!


Oh goitered low-hanging balloon!

I long to hear your call once more, low and awkward through the underbrush:


Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ye Olde Blogge Design by Insight © 2009