Monday, December 12, 2011

A Hundred Years Ago...or, the Square Pancake

 "...Many years later, I think about holding a relic.  That issue of National Geographic was nearly a century old when I held it in my hands.  Try as I might to resist the simultaneous temptations of sentimentalizing the past and frowning at the present, I can't help but feel that a century twenty-five years ago might feel like a millennium now.  I'm sure each generation bemoans, or at least takes note of, the speed of its present versus the languor of its past, perhaps without value judgement, but things are radically faster now than at any point in human history, and the past recedes at lightning speed.  Of course, the older one gets, the further into the past the past vanishes; though not news, this still rankles.  I was young when I held that issue in my hands: my childhood ended the month before; adolescence just a week later; I didn't have a whole lot of perspective yet.  But I sensed the gravity of perspective, of distance, before I could adequately essay it."

Defunct contributor Joe Bonomo has a wonderful short essay up at No Such Thing As Was about holding one of the first issues of National Geographic, Record Store Day, and vinyls.  Fans can also check out his Defunct essay, "Wait For It," which appeared in last April's issue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ye Olde Blogge Design by Insight © 2009